From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:26 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Seismic compression struts

You are correct.  CISCA references the splay wire and compression strut in
"Guidelines for Direct Hung Ceiling Assemblies in Seismic Zones 3 & 4".
There were some studies a while back that indicated that the lateral drift
was too great to reduce damage if splay wires were used without compression
struts.

Regards, Harold Sprague