re: being the prime/ Stan

Stan,

Really? If true, I am completely shocked. From reading SE mags and my own experience, I would expect the exact opposite. Maybe 5-10% of building projects or less with the SE as the prime. I think in over 10 years of experience in Florida, the only time the company I was working for was the prime was at a A & E firm, which doesn’t qualify.

Now I have been the prime on specialty engineering and residential projects, but all very small projects.

I don’t mean civil, bridge, misc. structural projects, I mean buildings.

I applaud you working directly for the owner, I definitely think that can be a good way to do it. What types of projects are we talking about?

Andrew Kester, PE

Orlando, FL

This discussion brings up a point which I have discussed previously on t=

he list- that is to work to be the prime consultant for the owner and hi=

re the architect and others rather than work for the architect. I believ=

e that about 70% of all buildings in the U.S. are designed by engineers =

as the prime consultant.

Stan Scholl, P.E.

Laguna Beach, CA