From: Conrad Harrison [mailto:sch.tectonic(--nospam--at)bigpond.com]
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 5:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Wind Load Question

Doug,

Not sure about ASCE7-05, but AS1170.2 has coefficients for attached
canopies. I recollect the commentary to ASCE7-05 indicating canopy/free
roof
pressure coefficients were derived from AS1170.2 and new research.

If no attached canopy coefficients in ASCE7-05, then the coefficients
are
similar order of magnitude to those for free roof blocked under.

Alternatively can derive by combination of roof pressure coefficient for
enclosed building and adjacent wall pressure coefficient. For example
overhang coefficient is approximately windward wall coefficient +0.7
combined with windward edge roof coefficient -0.9, both acting upwards
gives
-1.6 (upwards away from roof surface). (sorry +0.8 to ASCE7)

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Adelaide