Re: Revit Structure (was Re: Concrete Reinf Diagram)

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM, David Topete <d.topete73(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
Mike,

REVIT is the wave of the future...  Catch it.  We are working on most projects now in REVIT, and it isn't too bad.  The learning curve is somewhat difficult at first because you need to stop thinking of ACAD shortcuts, and ACAD all together.  It's great because it can generate the 3D picture with all of the physical elements defined.  It is especially helpful for conditions such as Jeremy's current dilemma.

Once the architect creates the base model, the other disciplines can do their respective work, and conflicts are more "apparent."  A lot of times it's difficult to know where a mech'l duct penetrates a shearwall or bracing line.  REVIT allows everyone to see it.

I'm sure others can provide more feedback.  A lot of upfront cost probably, but the productivity should increase with REVIT not long after people are up to speed.  Good luck convincing the big wigs...

Oh, I'm convinced, but management is not. The firm does have a few seats of Revit (forced upon them by a client/architect) but has not made much progress in implementation.  That being said, I can't complain too much, at least I've got a job and a 30 day license of Revit Structure at home for learning on my own.

Thank you all for your input and feedback.

Mike