Re: Old Steel Joists

Doug,

I don't have access to the book (at least not easily) but I've seen a book put out by the SJI that has tables and such for the older joist systems.  I _thought_ it had some rules of thumb for chord and web member sizes, but I could be wrong.  It appears as if the SJI, is still a bit behinds the times when offering it's literature.  You can only purchase a CD of the book.

My manager is out of the office today, but I'll ask him tomorrow if he's got a copy of Technical Digest #7 (seems like it's no longer available).

Link to the SJI (behind the times) website... https://www.steeljoist.org/publications/default.asp

Decent thread from the archive...

http://www.seaintarchive.org/group/seaoc/mailarchive/2000b/msg00162.html

I guess visiting the site and measuring the joists is not possible?

Mike