RE: Old Steel Joists

Looks like the first H's show up in the 61-71 load tables.  They indicate a moment capacity of 140000 in-lbs, and a max end reaction of 3200lb. This is from SJI's joist digest #7

-Michelle

From: Doug Mayer [mailto:doug.mayer(--nospam--at)taylorteter.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:01 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Old Steel Joists

I’m trying to find some information on some old open-web steel joists (circa 1960) and designated as “12H3”.  I’m specifically trying to determine what kind of chord and web sections this joist is comprised of and any other information would be helpful.  I’ve done some googling, but to no avail.  If you have any info regarding this type of joist I would really appreciate it.

TIA,

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer