Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Old Steel Joists

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]



Yeah, didn’t want to purchase the book if I didn’t have to.  The problem I have is that the joists as specified on the drawings would seem to indicate typical double angle chords similar to current K and LH joists.  However, pictures of the existing joists show double tube chords with tube web.  I’m trying to figure out if a 12H3 is in fact this “tube” style joist rather than the typical angle chords.


Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer


From: Mike Jones [mailto:mike.maryjones(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: Old Steel Joists




I don't have access to the book (at least not easily) but I've seen a book put out by the SJI that has tables and such for the older joist systems.  I _thought_ it had some rules of thumb for chord and web member sizes, but I could be wrong.  It appears as if the SJI, is still a bit behinds the times when offering it's literature.  You can only purchase a CD of the book.


My manager is out of the office today, but I'll ask him tomorrow if he's got a copy of Technical Digest #7 (seems like it's no longer available).


Link to the SJI (behind the times) website...


Decent thread from the archive...



I guess visiting the site and measuring the joists is not possible?




On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Doug Mayer <doug.mayer(--nospam--at)> wrote:

I’m trying to find some information on some old open-web steel joists (circa 1960) and designated as “12H3”.  I’m specifically trying to determine what kind of chord and web sections this joist is comprised of and any other information would be helpful.  I’ve done some googling, but to no avail.  If you have any info regarding this type of joist I would really appreciate it.




Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer