RE: Wind load and pile depths for wooden fences (San Jose)

Conrad,

Few Australian codes have mandatory serviceability loads, or conditions,
just a blanket requirement that a structure has to be serviceable. The
designers and end users determine the serviceability criteria. There are
recommendations in the codes, but not mandatory.

The Australian Concrete Code rules on serviceability are mandatory, they are not recommendations. I think the steel code rules are the same (I have not read it for 30 years). The loading code has recommendations (much to the chagrin of the design code writers), but these are over-ridden by the design codes.

And the change to the wind loading code was one of the most stupid ever. Now a designer has to do 2 complete analyses for wind because some statistician decided different return periods were more accurate (this is statistics we are talking about) than an ultimate loading factor.

Regards  Gil Brock
Ph +61 7 3807 8022              Fax +61 7 3807 8422
email:          gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:          sales(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:          support(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
webpage:        http://www.raptsoftware.com