From: jgetaz(--nospam--at)shockeyprecast.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:26:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Revit Structure

        Listers,
                BIM “is the wave of the future,” not just REVIT. You should still catch it. As stated: The learning curve is steep; a lot of information has to be put in at the beginning; and it can be a long time before an individual modeler learns to be faster than CAD.
                And when it is done right, those changes from the architect that Gerard mentions are a lot easier and quicker than in CAD. I just saw it on a project where we were making pieces before the architect was done designing (and responding to the owner and another architect who was looking over his shoulder). We did part of the project in AutoCAD, but most in Tekla. Despite problems with erecting the AutoCAD part, our field crew finished over two weeks (about 20%) early because the Tekla part went so well. Since were integrated, a little field time makes up for a lot of modeling time, though we aim to model more quickly than we could draw.
                Used right, the bill of materials falls out, there is no counting. Not much there for design engineers, but good for contractors.
                Finally, there is a premium on knowing how a building fits together (how Jeremy started this whole discussion). A rookie just out of technical school may have the technical skills, but there is less opportunity to learn the 3D skills and construction knowledge with modeling than there was with drafting or CAD. Not a big deal for a sole practitioner he would not have survived without both in any mode, but a challenge for a larger shop.
                Not for the faint of heart, but is just right for the far-sighted. You must answer the question whether that means loony visionary or the essential tool for the third project from now so skill needs to be developed now.
        Jim Getaz
        Precast Concrete Engineer

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on Facebook. Find out more.