Re: Mac conversion from PC

Title: Re: Mac conversion from PC
I won’t quibble with much, but I will quibble with some.

Your old PC runs at full speed (it has direct  access to your Mac's processor) and you can allocate how much memory you want  it to take up”

Yes and no.  While for the most part, you will get full speed running Windows through a VM program like Parallels, there IS a performance hit.  It is not anywhere near as bad a performance hit as when you ran Windows in an emulation program (like Virtual PC) on the older PowerPC platform, but there is one.  You will notice it most when going graphically intensive programs.  Prior to Parallels Desktop 4 (i.e. Version 3 and earlier) you did not even consider doing an real gaming in Windows running in Parallels...and this would have also largely effected things like AutoCAD, especially if you do 3D modeling in AutoCAD (or I would expect Revit).  This is supposedly a lot better in version 4 of Parallels, but it is still not the same as running Windows natively in Boot Camp.  Now, I am not saying that you cannot run the likes of AutoCAD in Parallels, but just be aware that you will take a bit of a performance hit, especially if you are trying to do some sort of a large 3D model.

As to Superduper, yes, it is a great program.  I use it as well for my Mac as my primary backup method (I use secondary and “thirdary” (is that tertiary?) methods as well).  But, you can nominally do the same thing on a PC.  I use True Image to clone my boot drives of my Windows boxes.  While it is tougher to do such a clone backup to a bootable external drive (because not all PCs have the ability to boot off USB...and even if they do, Windows can be a little finicky at times booting from USB), it can be done (I do it by way of an eSATA connection).  But, frankly for this type of backup, it is no problem to put the backup drive internally if the main drive hoses (you can clone to a USB drive just fine...just tend to have issues trying to boot from it on a PC) as you will likely be needing to replace the hosed drive anyway.  And I will note that generally speaking the cloning process on my PCs is WAY faster than on my Mac for a brand spanking new clone (Superduper can do “smart clones” were it updates the clone you have previously done, which can dramatically speed the process up).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI