Re: Mac conversion from PC

Title: Re: Mac conversion from PC
There is a WORLD of difference between switching to Linux and switching to a Mac.  While Linux has come a LONG way toward being more friendly to the non-geek population, it is still much more attuned to the geek population.  There are lots of the geek population that dealing with Linux is “just like dealing with Windows”, but they have never been a “typical user” and never will be so they really do not get that perspective.  Linux is still tougher to deal with.

The Mac OS is in many ways more easy to deal with than Windows, although it is pretty close.  You will give a lot of hassles by going to a Mac that you tend to have to deal with on a PC.  But, you are correct that there will be a learning curve and some ineffeciencies when switching.  How much so will vary greatly from person to person.  In reality, the Mac OS and Windows are not really all that different for the “core functions”.  The “devil is in the details”.  Generally, I find it tougher for a Windows person to go to a Mac than a Mac person going to a Windows computer.  For example, Mac people tend to learn to drag-copy/move stuff in the Finder from Finder window to Finder window, where as Windows people tend to do that stuff by way of copy and paste, which is not available in the Mac OS.  Since the Mac user can do the same thing in Windows, they do not have a problem...but the Windows person will have to learn to do it another way since the copy & paste way is not available in the Mac OS.

As to programs, you should find very little difference at all.  Word on the Mac is pretty much identical to Word on Windows.  Now, there is a HUGE exception to this...with Office 2007, Microsoft introduced a “ribbon” interface, which is DRAMATICALLY different.  And since they elected NOT to all a user the option of turning on the old menu structure, you had to cold turkey learn a new interface.  The Mac version, however, did NOT go to the “ribbon” interface (thankfully).  But, there is a good chance that many people are still on Office 2003, which is not much different that Office 2008 on the Mac interface-wise.

Overall, how steep a learning curve will be highly dependent on the individual.  I know some rather computer phobic/illiterate computer users who made the change with no trouble at all, but that was likely due to the fact that they basically used the computer for three things...Word, email and web browsing...and the extent of their file management stuff was saving the Word files to the default folder that Word would save them to...and never used the Finder/Windows Explorer to deal with/move files.  I also know “regular” users who struggle with the change.  And I know others who have little trouble.  It is largely a function of how well people adapt and learn new things.  I would use myself as an example of how easy it can be, but then we all know that I am not “normal” (in more ways than one <grin>).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI