Cracks at Bay Bridge Eye Lug

List,

Caltrans did NOT explain the cause of crack at steel eye lug found over the weekend. They said a thorough "visual" inspection found no more occurrence on other parts. However, from my experience metal cracks may not be visible with naked eyes esp hairline and subsurface cracks. Call me a pessimist but until we fully understand the cause there should be enough measures in place to prevent a catastrophic failure of such important component of a bridge.

I'm just wondering why this phenomenon did not generate much buzz among us listers.

Milo Zabala, PE
AUSRA Inc