Re: Steel straps on wood shear walls

Around here, over the shear ply is SOP. Underneath, structural observation is more complicated.

Jim Wilson wrote:
Is there a definitive reference stating that steel straps are okay to be placed over wall sheathing and not directly to the studs before the sheathing is installed? I've googled it, I've called Simpson and I've tried to look to the APA but I can only find indirect statements about it. Simpson does mention that different nail sizes can be used for the different installation methods. That isn't generic enough for the condition. Thanks,
Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA