RE: stairway access to industrial faciliies

Here we have an platforms and stairways and ladder standard AS1657. It contains a diagram showing change from ramps, cleated ramps, steps to rung like ladders. The zone from 45 degrees to 60 degrees is considered unsafe. Between 60 and 70 degrees have step ladders, and between 70 and 90 degrees rung ladders. Also its rises and goings for stairways are incompatible with our building code (BCA) requirements for stairs, however the standard is otherwise referenced by the BCA, and is mainly for use in industrial situations or plant access.

Regards

Conrad Harrison

B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust

Adelaide