Re: AISC Specification

Bill and Christopher,
Thanks for the replies. I should have given a more detailed explanation of why I asked. I got into a little cat-fight with a consulting engineering firm over fabricator's shop drawings which were to be sealed by a P. Eng. The contract drawings showed connections with very little detail, i.e plate sizes, but no weld sizes, shear forces but no axial forces, eccentric loads on connections. I wrote to this firm and requested the member forces which are required by our national specification CSA S16.1 "Limit States Design of Steel Structures". A person wrote back in an unsigned letter that I was to just follow the contract drawings and seal the shop drawings. I replied that under no circumstances would I seal the drawings with the information supplied and explained why, and I also asked if he or she was a structural engineer since I suspected I was dealing with a "civilian". He took great offence at that and accused me of unethical behaviour. I wrote back and suggested he look in a mirror. I am still awaiting the forces acting on members.

As a side-light to this, I contacted the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) and asked the guy in charge of "standards and practises" what happened to a planned committee on the long on-going dispute between fabricators and consulting engineers over shop drawings. We discussed the issue in general and he asked me what the USA uses for a steel specification. I should really have referred him to your code of standard practise which covers this issue of shop drawings better than anything up here. I copied the relevant piece from the AISC 9th edition and e-mailed it to him.
Gary