From: Kapil Nandwana [mailto:kapil.nandwana(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:15 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: How to Calculate strength of embedded beams

Hi All :

I need to calculate the strength of a W 8 X 24 beam embedded in the
concrete of 8" and which is 240" long .How should I proceed to solve
this problem. Is there any reference to which I can look into which
talks about the strength of embedded beams ?

Basically, the reason why I need this is because I am currently
working on a project where I have designed a test fixture for doors.
The base of the test fixture will be welded on to the W 8 X 24 beam
embedded in the concrete. FE Analysis predicts that the test fixture
will be pulling up the embedded beam with a force of 20,000 lbf .

Is the embedded beam able to resist that force without any failure to
concrete/beam ?

Your suggestions and help in answering this question is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kapil
Structural Engineer, EWI