RE: How to Calculate strength of embedded beams

Unless there is a mechanism to transfer horizontal shear (i.e. shear studs), you should calculate the strength of the steel beam as an independent structural element.  The concrete could be assumed to provide lateral bracing only.  Shear studs can be added and would provide a significant increase in flexural strength.

>From what you have presented, I would say that it is doubful that the W 8x24 has sufficient strength for the applied static loading.  It is different if this is a dynamic load, but there is insufficient data if this is a dynamic load application.

Regards, Harold Sprague