Re: Design of blast doors

Kapil,
There is a lot of information on the design of heavy doors and gates associated with dams, canals, sluices, etc. I have been away from this a long time but a lot of information was available from sources like the USACE, Tennessee Valley Authority, Bureau of Reclamation. Those are the ones I can remember.
Gary

Kapil Nandwana wrote:
Hi All :

I am currently working on a project where I have to design a blast
door. I have used TM5-1300 Manual for design of monolithic steel door.
The issue is if I use a 1" plate thickness I do not meet the customer
requirements(high ductility ratio and rotation ). But if i use a 2"
plate , I do meet the requirements but the door weight becomes high
and is not acceptable to the customer. So what we need to do is use a
1" plate and place stiffeners at critical locations, but I don't know
how to analyze the blast doors with stiffeners on them , since
TM5-1300 does not talk about those kind of doors.

Can you all learned people suggest me as to how should I approach this problem ?

Thanks,
Kapil
Structural Engineer, EWI