sill plate anchor bolts

Title: sill plate anchor bolts

Hello,

I know many aspects of anchor bolting have been discussed over the course of shifting to 2x2 and then 3x3 washers, but I couldnt find this one in the archives.  For garage walls and assemblies where the floor joists are hung from the sill, contractors are used to recessing AB washers and nuts into the sill plates.  Since the bigger washers have entered the code, I have included a note saying this is not OK, since recessing a 3x3x1/4 plate, combined with poor AB alignment, could wind up taking out half the plate at each bolt.  I just went out to a job where the contractor did this anyway, and it certainly is a mess.  We (he) can fix it, but Im just wondering what others do.  Do you include a note prohibiting recessed Abs?  Contractors love to scream about it, but usually they cut out the plywood a bit at each AB and it works fine.  On a related note, does anyone let them use the old little round washers in locations that are not designated as shearwalls, or do your jurisdictions allow this?  Ive always included a framing note that says all exterior walls shall be constructed as an A wall u.n.o., so they should be using the mothergrabbing washers everywhere, even though the IBC only requires it for shearwalls.  What do you do?

thanks,

Gordon Goodell