Concrete bearing on glass wall

I have a client who is doing a glass house.  His current intention is to use a concrete roof – which does make sense in terms of rigidity… however, this poses an issue of how to go about transferring the loads from the roof to the glass without having the concrete bearing directly on the glass (for the obvious reasons) yet still providing adequate weather protection and preferably avoiding concentrated stresses from fixtures etc. A further consideration is the effect of time on glass embrittlement – the panels / members need to have some method simplified replacement.  I would imagine that there is some sort of continuous track with PVC lining that would accomplish this with some degree of success, but I can’t find anything that fits the bill.  i.e. can tapcon to concrete with little to no rust issues, sustain gravity and lateral loading and has removable side plate for ready replacement of the panels.

Something to note is that the current design has no columns and no structural elements other than glass.  Don’t ask me why I always seem to get this kind of work… I really couldn’t tell you.

Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Calvert, EIT

Project Engineer

Lindemann Bentzon Bojack

Architects & Engineers

290 Citrus Tower Blvd, Suite 200, Clermont, Fl. 34711

tel: 352.242.0100 ext.141 fax: 352.242.0302

www.lbbe.com

Internet Email Confidentiality

and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if

you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of

this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message

that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood

as neither given nor endorsed by it.