Re: 5 psf lateral partition live load - was RE: 16 gage wire strength

Harold,
NBCC is not as ambiguous as Gary's response suggests.

The mandatory, universal, non-specific 10 psf partition wall load has been
removed.

NBCC does require a 0.5 kPa (10 +/- psf) Live Load on walls under specific
circumstances (e.g. guard walls, firewalls).

Additionally, as Gary describes, walls should be capable of resisting the
air pressure loads itemized and there are means to determine those loads.

There area some vague words but in writing the code we avoid being too
explicit since we cannot consider every potential condition for some issues
(not news to you , I'm sure). IF the engineer did not reasonably consider
the potential conditions, that would be unacceptable in professional
practice but not necessarily unsafe.

Regardless of the pressures assigned, I have some difficulty with the idea
of supporting a partition using horizontal 12 ga wire in place of something
more substantial, like fastening to the u/s of a drop/Tbar ceiling (tongue
in cheek).

Regards
Paul