Anyone using freeware FEA?

Dear listers.
I was procrastinating this Sunday night and got somewhat puzzled by an ancient thread on Eng-tips named "Should We Use Free Software" (http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=9127&page=97).
I searched the list server archive and found no threads discussing or comparing free FEA codes.
So, how many of you use free FEA packages regularly and whether you have found any of it suitable for real projects?
Are you in favour of brand-name, easy to use, expensive integrated packages, or free, time-consuming, customizable tools that require you to think the design/check procedure yourself? (Sorry to enforce bias here, that's how I personally see this choice.)
Also, to my understanding, the users of free/open-source FEA are likely sole practitioners and small business owners/partners, not corporate employees. Am I right here?
TIA,
Alex.
P.s. If the list doesn't find this to be an offtopic, I'll compile a small list of free FEA that I think is more or less suitable for practical structural needs.
--
Alexander Bausk
http://bausk.wordpress.com