Re: Anyone using freeware FEA?

Both have their place. Both have different advantages and
disadvantages. Most important, both should be used with the same
professional care, such as your example of finding an alternate
independent means of checking the results.  It does not matter whether
the software is open source or commercially procured, that step still
has to be done. If you can't check the results, you shouldn't be using
it.

Unfortunately, some only use commercial software because they believe
they do not have to check their results, despite the disclaimers users
have to sign before using it, in the belief that it was written by
professionals who know what they are doing and the justice system will
compel them to back their work, despite the disclaimer. That is a
concern.