Re: 'R' Values

Hocus pocus.

If I try engage my serious mode...

R vlaues, in theory, are to represent the amount of ductility relative to a purely elastic system. The idea is a purely elastic response would have an R of 1.0. The higher the R value, the more ductile the system will behave.

Now, in theory, you can think of this a relative measure of the energy of the system response or the area under the curve of plot load vs deflection for a system. Nominally, in theory, a system with an R of 5 will be able to dissipate 5 times the energy than that of a system with a pure elastic response.

In reality, R values have never really been done purely based upon a rational method. The have more been a function of "politics" (i.e. Kind smoke-filled backroom agreements). While they are not complete BS, they can not currently be determined from a rational engineering method.

In theory, this is potentially going to change. There is an effort to make R values be more rational. This part of the reason why Appendix A of the SIP ICC-ES acceptance requirements was killed (this assumes you read my long dissertation post on SIPs for lateral loads). Personally, I have lost track of where this effort stands.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI