From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 5:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: 'R' Values

Thor:

And my point was that there likely is no "rational" equivalence since the
current IBC/ASCE 7 R values are more based upon "political"/backroom
agreements than pure rational engineering.  Your best bet is to compare the
various values from the IBC/ASCE 7 to the Canadian values and see if there
is some sort of rational "static" factor that could be applied to one to get
the other...but I kind of doubt that there is such a single multiplication
factor.

My only reason for blathering on about the concept was to illustrate that in
theory there SHOULD be a rational engineering method, even though there is
not.  In other words, there is no engineering reason that current R values
should largely be "hocus pocus"...the current R values are driven largely by
one material group wanting to get a competitive advantage over the competing
materials.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI