RE: Structural Engineering Online Encyclopedia

1. Structuralwiki was first, but I've searched and searched that site and couldn't find a single thing that was useful.

2. The content from wikipedia that is on the site currently is just a jumping off point. Eventually it will diverge greatly.

3. Many of the other sites out there have their primary focus on making a quick buck and not on providing quality content. The problem with keeping interest alive starts with the creator(s) of the web site. When they realize that they are not going to be able to retire off of revenue from their web site they scrap the idea. StructuralPedia will always be free and never clutter the content with ads as long as I am in control of it and so the main focus will be that it is useful to engineers (and engineering students). I was considering placing a donate button on the site, so I would be interested in getting feedback on that issue. All money donated would go towards improving the site and not my pocket.

- Jeremy

Quoting Conrad Harrison <sch.tectonic(--nospam--at)bigpond.com>:

So which is first?

http://www.structuralwiki.org/en/Main_Page

http://structuralpedia.com

Bridgeart posted here a while back.

And how much different can the content be from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_engineering

Wouldn't it be better to develop articles on the main Wikipedia and link to
more detailed discussions elsewhere, rather than trying to start something
from scratch.

Also a list member created a website, last year or earlier, for sample
calculations in pdf and other formats: what happened to it?

http://www.examplecalcs.com/

whilst ExelCalcs, introduced at the same time seems to be developing, but
becoming more commercial.

http://www.excelcalcs.com/

So there could be a problem in generating interest and keeping that interest
alive. Who is the primary audience, what do they need, is that need being
satisfied else where?

Answer the five wise men: Who, What, Where, When, Why? And How for good
measure.

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust