Re: Main Wind Force vs C&C Wind Force

A wall acting out of plane is not acting in a MWFRS function, therefore I would check C&C plus axial unless the trib area is greater than 700 sf then you can use MWFRS (ASCE 7-05 Sect. 6.5.12.1.3). A separate check would be when the wall is acting in a MWFRS function. In my point of view columns and walls pull double duty and should be checked for C&C always and also Main Wind if they are also part of the MWFRS. Also, always include axial.

- Jeremy

Quoting "Gerard Madden, SE" <gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com>:

Incorrect.

If the global lateral stability of the structure depends on the member in
question, it is Main Wind Force Resisting System.

If not, it is a component.

Regardless, members must be designed for the all the loads it needs to
resist.

-gm