RE: Structural Engineering Online Encyclopedia

Richard,

That is some good food for thought. I think adding a comment box is a good idea. If this would encourage others who might not normally contribute then I will definitely incorporate it.

- Jeremy

Quoting Richard Calvert <RichardC(--nospam--at)lbbe.com>:

I think this ought to be approached just like any other Wiki - warnings about citations and/or verification on every page that hasn't been thoroughly hashed out; only to the point that end user can realize that it may or may not be correct. The beauty of a wiki lay in the fact that anyone can contribute and with time all of things will be hashed out.

Something I recommend is to not post PDF example calcs - they ought to use TeX or MathML so that people may readily correct, clarify or expand upon what is being provided - lets face it, we don't do our hand calcs in a manner that is generally clear to anyone other than those intimately involved with the project and can read that type of scribble with little explanation required... further, we would all be hard pressed in performing anything short of a basic calculation that everyone would agree with.

Which leads me to something of a tangent topic - I'm afraid that a vast number of our kind will be reluctant to contribute to something like this for fears of either looking like something less than a god (typical complex of an engineer) or losing what they think is a proprietary understanding of something. But here's my take on this - If you fall into that first 'being afraid of being embarrassed' category, get over yourself! Everyone makes mistakes and has lapses in judgment, or has been trained by those who may have been doing something incorrectly for 50 years and believe it works b/c it's never failed (often w/o consideration of whether this method has ever been put through full design loading). Or maybe you just don't have the understanding you thought you had, in which case open peer review (WITHOUT your name attached, as is typical of wiki, I might add) might not be such a bad thing And if you fall into the second category, again, get over yourself! Just because you took the time to figure something out doesn't mean that no one else capable of doing the same. Further, you're real value is in the depth AND breadth of knowledge you poses... not in the fact that you're the only one in the office who knows how to do 'that one thing.'

My main point with that latest bit of ramblings is that this wiki is a great idea for the engineering community at-large but only has a chance of being successful if a vast number of people involve themselves. So be involved... even if it's only to make a comment here or there.

On that note, something which may be of benefit, that isn't on a typical wiki, would be an area at the bottom of each page for anyone to leave comments or suggestions, even without an account (and even delete such comments with just basic membership, to avoid the need for formal moderation of what could become a spam-fest) Reason being is a lot of the most useful information will likely come from folks not inclined to learn or use HTML-type scripting languages or take the time to formally add their take on something. This would allow these folks to simply make a quick comment that can either be implemented by the next person to review the page with that sort of time/knowledge, or simply be deleted if it's useless or incorrect.