Florida Houses, was re: "antiquated" floor systems

        Andrew,
                I can’t believe houses in Florida use wood at all, and for termites, not just hurricanes. If I were building there, it would be like the home some friends of mine had when they lived there: slab-on-grade with block walls and a concrete slab roof. I’d work on making that pretty after I made it so it would survive your elements. I have a hard enough time maintaining a frame house (>100 years) here in temperate Virginia, well away from the coast.
        Jim Getaz
        Winchester, Virginia