Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
www.rhkse.com

Sent from my iPhone 3G

On Oct 7, 2009, at 5:04 AM, "Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc." <design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca > wrote:

I watch a lot of these home programs (my wife's choice most of the time) and several show European construction; and I have been over there also. The British use a lot of solid masonry, the French and Italians seem to use a lot of natural stone and the Germans seem to use stone and clay tile. So there is small wonder their homes last hundreds of years. A polish friend commented on the "poor" quality of Canadian construction, i.e, wood frame const. I guess you get what you pay for.
Gary

Stuart, Matthew wrote:
Andrew,
Thanks for your additional insights into the world outside of the continental US.

________________________________

From: akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com [mailto:akester(--nospam--at)cfl.rr.com]
Sent: Tue 10/6/2009 6:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: re: "antiquated" floor systems

Mathew,
I thought the same thing that Julio said when I saw one of your articles on those types of floor systems. My ex was from Spain and her dad is an architect and contractor. I was lucky to go there many times (Tenerife, one of the Canary Islands), and they use this system almost exclusively in every home. They also use peculiar though impressive things such as large pad footings, pre-fab rebar columns, and reinforced concrete beams- in HOUSES...

Several reasons that I could come up with. First, wood and steel are imported and the former used mostly as decoration in balconies and doors. However, they sit on quite a pile of volcanic rock. Second, they go multi-story due to land value and the cost of building in mountainous terrain, so a good floor system is imperative. Finally, you get a great, stiff floor for all that Spanish tile, and they are very quiet except for hard objects or certain shoes falling on the tile floors above.

Incidentally, through his travels to the US, my padrino has been impressed with commercial construction. However, he thinks some US houses are quite beautiful but the construction quality is poor for such a rich country. Especially here in Florida, where we are obviously in a hurricane-prone region, he cannot understand (outside of economics) why we use so much wood...

Andrew Kester, PE

* site at: http://www.seaint.org <http://www.seaint.org/> ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********