Main Wind Force vs C&C Wind Force

Jason,

Your interpretation is correct, at least for wood studs. Here’s a link to a technical paper we wrote on the subject several years ago (2003) after receiving an interpretation from the ASCE 7 Wind Loads Committee:

http://www.awc.org/Publications/papers/considerations.pdf

We have codified this approach in the Wood Frame Construction Manual (WFCM) for One- and Two-Family Dwellings, 2001 Edition.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media

American Wood Council

Engineered and Traditional Wood Products
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
202-463-2769
www.awc.org

Email Signature

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard. Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.