Shear vs Safe load for lintels

I’m looking at precast lintel load table, and found the PLF = ‘allowable shear value’ x 2 / ‘span’ does NOT equal the allowable linear loads listed.  In fact they are generally much lower (for the case a 6.5ft 8x8 the allowable listed is around 1200 while the max for allowable shear is only around 900). Even more so, backing into the allowable PLF based on bending does not produce the value listed for allowable PLF.  It actually tends to give a slightly higher allowable – so I know it isn’t a matter where in is bearing area is the work point being assumed, as I’m basing my numbers on the full 6.5; span without consideration for the min 4” bearing at end.

So what am I missing here?

Richard Calvert, EIT

Project Engineer

Lindemann Bentzon Bojack

Architects & Engineers

290 Citrus Tower Blvd, Suite 200, Clermont, Fl. 34711

tel: 352.242.0100 ext.141 fax: 352.242.0302

www.lbbe.com

Internet Email Confidentiality

and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if

you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of

this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message

that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood

as neither given nor endorsed by it.