Re: FL construction

I would be careful that you are not mixing up general residential
construction quality with the use of specific materials.  While the two
issues are kind of tied together, to me, your issue has more to do with
residential construction quality than type of material, per se.

You can design and build a perfectly good wood stick framed home...if it is
detailed properly for envelope issues and structural resistance to loads and
then build by a competent, quality construction company that does not place
"getting it out the door" over "doing it right".  To me, in today's
residential construction world, there is WAY too much focus on the "fluff"
(i.e. The kitchen cabinet color, type of counter tops, whether or not the
appliances are stainless steel...both by the buyers and the home builders to
satisfy the buyers) and not enough on the "meat" (i.e. Building envelope
sealing issues, structural systems, etc) and this can result in some of the
"bones" of the home getting neglected during construction.  Since wood stick
frame construction is the overwhelmingly predominate material of choice for
residential home construction in the US, this is why it is easy to associate
the poor construction issues with stick frame constructions...to me at a
least.  Since masonry or reinforced concrete or steel construction is much
less common in residential construction, you have much better odds of
getting a contractor who is willing to do it right since no too many have
this area of "expertise" and thus, there are lot less "yahoos" out there who
do it for the "bottom-line buck" only and are more likely to to "get it
right".

This is a big reason why when I have looked at homes for myself, I tend to
look at older homes.  Both of my houses that I have owned have been built in
the 50s.  Some of the construction of "tract homes" that I have seen in the
90s and later just scares me in terms of quality.

The point is that I would argue you could certainly design a stick framed
home for Florida that would work just fine if you had an engineer and/or
architect detail it properly (including site issues such as NOT sloping the
ground toward the house) and a contractor who took the time to build it
correctly with quality in mind rather than just speed and bottom line cost.
But the reality is that most consumers do not know about or focus on that
type of stuff.  They focus more on the "fluff" stuff such as stainless steel
appliances, granite countertops, the right paint color, the trophy master
bathroom, etc as all that other stuff is "greek" (so to speak).

Now, I do suspect that if you do detail such a home properly and get a
contractor to do it right, you will likely see a lot of the cost advantage
of the stick framed home disappear compared to a residential home in
masonry, reinforced concrete, and/or steel.

The end result is that if I ever build my "dream home", I will likely
consider masonry, steel, reinforced concrete, or some non-stick framed
construction as I would more likely be able to get a quality product, not
because they are inherently a better material.  The problem with stick
framed construction is that there are just too many people out there doing
it that really should not be doing it as they do not care to do quality
work.  This does not mean that you cannot get it done with quality, but more
that you will have a tougher time getting a contractor who does do quality
work.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Scott