Re: California SE exam

You threw for a loop with the "seismic only" bit.  While I have no direct experience the the new or old California SE exams, I would expect the state specific exam for CA SE is similar to what Wasington does with the Srtuct III exam for their SE license, which I do have direct experience with.  If so, while will be heavily dominated by seismic design, you likely will also need to know non-seismic stuff as well.  To my knowledge, the only "pure" seismic only exam that I am aware of in CA is the one that is part of getting your PE exam.

If the state specific CA SE exam is like WA's, then you will want to be VERY familar with all materials (wood, masonry, concrete, and steel) for both seismic and non-seismic.  It might have less wind design stuff than WA's exam, but I suspect you will still see some.  If nothing else, you will see some wind design on the NCEES Struct II exam.  And try to be as familiar as possible with where stuff is in the code(s) as these exams tend to have MAJOR time component...if you spend a lot of time looking stuff up to figure out how to do a problem, you are more than likely "toast".

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI