------- Original Message -------
Sender : Richard Calvert<RichardC(--nospam--at)lbbe.com>
Date : Oct 09, 2009 20:12 (GMT+09:00)
Title : RE: QUESTION REGARDING 18B40 (LIGHT BEAM SECTION PROPERTIES)

Please look at

http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=21908

If you’re a member you can download the DB for free – I have it, but the file is likely too large to go thru the email…

and no, that isn’t necessarily a W18x40 – some time ago different manufacturers used differing nomenclatures.  I have an old 193x Carnegie steel book that uses similar nomenclature to this (I don’t have access to it ATM) but following their nomenclature that section may well be a 40” deep by 18” wide section.  And I believe they used B as well for wide flanges.

Best to get the full (mostly) DB from AISC to be certain.