Re: Anyone using freeware FEA?

Fugeeo,
I used the Windows version. I'm not aware of any difference between that one and the Linux version.
Perphaps you'd be also interested in Roshaz - it is a ~500 bucks worth pre/postprocessor for CalculiX (its existence proves that
Calculix pre/post is awful).
Actually, to dream a bit, I seek a good investment for my time to program some kind of hand-tailored software that
would be of use for engineers and would be extensible with user-written design/check routines.
By good investement, I mean an open-source solver not bound by licensing and therefore not a black-box solution or under risk of
developer ceasing license/support renewal.
I currently looking towards CalculiX as a tested engine but the problem with beam elements needs more research.
To dream a bit more, an ideal FEA software would have a Robot SA-like user interface, a nonlinear, 3D, substructure-enabled, efficient (~1m DOF?) solver
and user-written, highly customisable design modules, all that available to public in source codes.
Remember that user-written design modules would greatly benefit to the international engineering community, producing kind of a common denominator
to compare national codes, projects, share design models etc. Doing that within proprietary software scope always restricts the audience to specific software users.

I have a parable for that. In my childhood, I had a (Soviet) book about weapons history. It described the situation preceding the invention of a tank in WWI as
that all the components of it - engine, tracks, gun, armor steel - were already available separately; the invention was to combine them into one unit.
P.s. To correct myself, CalculiX is not an offspring of Plaxis at all. Instead, it reads Abaqus code.