Re: seaint Digest for 14 Oct 2009

Have you seen this story out of Va. Tech,  Ken? It refers to a floor issue brought to light by Mary Kay cosmetics sales people doing the bunny hop in Charlotte. The load was not just live, but in phase, to the extent those folks have rhythm ... Va Tech has done some deep study of floor vibration — Frank Woeste, prof. emeritus, was the pivot man on that work, if I understand correctly, but he may be semi-retired these days. I gather it can get complicated.

[the article] http://www.arch.virginia.edu/~km6e/arch721/docs/enr-annoying-floors.pdf

-- Ted Cushman

-->On Oct 15, 2009, at 12:00 AM, admin wrote:

From: ken ng <zy7up(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
Subject: Wood frame dancing floor
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I have a project and it's required to upgrade the existing wood floor framing with the live load capacity of 40 psf.  The wood floor will be used as a night club dance floor.  I was planning to use 100 psf live load.  I was wondering if I should include the live load impact to the floor to handle large groups of dancers.  I don't know what type music the night club will play.  Since the site is located within a university school zone.   What type of music are young adults dancing to now a day?  Saturday Night Fever? <--