RE: Antenna Tower Inspection

OSHA rules are applicable.  Use an OSHA approved fall protection harness with dual lanyards.  If you have not, you should seek a trainer for the OSHA ten hour training course.  We don't let anyone go to the field without it and an annual 2 hour refresher course.  They will include fall protection requirements.  The dual lanyards are for 100% tie off.  You are ALWAYS tied off.

Make sure you understand the construction practices.  TIA 222-G is the most current.  Bearing bolts are the practice.  Many towers will have step bolts as opposed to ladders.  Some will have built in fall protection with cable restraints.  You attach your harness to the restraint system on the tower.

A 40' tower is probably a self supporter as opposed to a guyed tower.  Guyed towers require evaluation for hydrogen embrittlement on the guys and tension verification.

Never climb an iced tower.  Been there, been stupid, done that, but survived.

Check the integrity of the grounding prior to climbing.  Shock is a low risk.

Regards, Harold Sprague