Re: what is the allowable beam opening?

Title: Re: what is the allowable beam opening?
I do not recall anything one way or the other in ACI 318, but my memory is not what it used to be.  :)

In general, I would just make sure you understand how the code provisions work and put that to use.  For example, ACI makes use of Whitney’s stress block.  Thus, in theory, as long as your hole is the distance “c” below the top of the beam (i.e. Below the neutral axis) and leaves enough room for the flexural bars to be developed in the bottom and the hole does not interfere with the shear stress transfer from the top of the beam to the bottom of the beam, then it should be OK.  From a flexural point of view, the concrete below the neutral axis does not “exist” for flexural strength calcs.  Of course, it is VERY important for shear stresses.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI