RE: R for knee brace

Typing now from a keyboard instead of my “Crackberry”.  I have done some cantilevered timber columns in the past, but I was never very crazy about them due to shrinkage.  I tried to limit them to small miscellaneous structures, cupola sort of things.  I do believe, (and I realize that the original question was regarding steel) the ASCE gives an R=1.5 for a “timber frame”.  Personally, I think that is a bit punitive, but see the politics of “R” thread a couple of weeks ago.  That’s why I ask the question.  Hoping for a bit of discussion on timber frames.  Sorry for throwing the timber thing into a steel discussion.  One more of my home made brews and I wouldn’t have even checked my email.

Yes I have listened to all the beer discussions in the past.  I gave up buying except for the cheap store bought while I’m mowing the lawn stuff.  My wife bought me a home brewing kit last winter.  5 gallons at a time.  Da?! Good stuff.

Joe Grill

From: leenlee_front [mailto:leenlee_front(--nospam--at)leenlee.net]
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 8:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: R for knee brace

Because there are existing ramp and SOG it is impossible to have can cantilevered column system. So it should be pinned connection at bottom of steel columns.

In my opinion it will be O.K. to use OMRF at both directions because OMRF does not required pre-qualified connections. What do you think about this?

Thanks.

S&H

LA, CA