RE: R for knee brace

This is like an ag building in which you can do anything you want.  However, if the structure is important, I would be cautious.  Buckeling of the column is a very undesirable first failure mode.  The mass is nothing on a canopy.  Why not er on the side of caution and use an R of 1.0?  You aren't going to save a significant amount of money by using an R of 3.5 over 1.0.

Regards, Harold Sprague