RE: shear lug

I have often wondered about this when reviewing cantilevered column designs used in residential LFRSs. I used to see  a lot of these where the cantilevered wide flange column is embedded into a RC grade beam. How does one go about designing the concrete for breakout of the steel? Hum.

Michel

We typically use an L or Single plate welded to the bottom of the base plate.  Then design it as a “cantilever beam”.