From: Doug Mayer [mailto:doug.mayer(--nospam--at)taylorteter.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Flood Loads

Have a project where the arch forgot to get a flood hazard report and found out that we were, indeed, in a flood plain.  This is all after the project has been designed and submitted for DSA review, of course.  It is a two story wood-framed classroom building.  The flood level is 12” above our current finished floor so the arch is trying to figure out if it would be easier to lift the building 18” or design the structure to resist the flood loads.  According to the CBC, ASCE 24 is the standard to use for designing to flood requirements, but I do not own the book.  I was just wondering if anyone has experience with flood loads and can possibly give me a feel for what I am dealing with here.

TIA,

Doug Mayer, SE