RE: Flood Loads

* and all this moment will be on top of seismic loads you have designed the building for if its in seismic zone. Not to mention that flood barriers (dams / levees) might break in the event of earthquake inducing additional moment on the footing during the aftershocks when water have already reached the building.

Naeem Ghani, P.E.

Your following message has been delivered to the list
 seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org at 11:28:54 on 27 Oct 2009.

* By raising the building 18" needs changed FFL and roof level. As recommended by Doug that will be easier route since you will be complying with the local code. * By designing the building to resist for flood requires designing the perimeter walls for hydrostatic pressure which is concenterated more at the bottom of the "triangular pyramid" (hydrostatic profile on the wall) exerting extra moment at the base of the shear walls. You'll have to design the footing for excess tensile loads. If flood exceeds 100 yr max. during service life than you are looking into re-eval of the footing and connections at the base....Further the building has to be analyzed completly for potential flood effects.

Naeem Ghani, P.E.

******