RE: Bridging for bar joist

Thank you for your responce.  I have older Vulcraft standard Details that shows bridging both ways, attached to wall and X braced.  I prefer not to attach to wall because of no coordination between bridging location and panel joints and some panels are heavly reinforced which would require core drilling.  Also if this was a steel building with spanderal beam i would think X bracing of bridging required.

So does X-bracing provide positive anchorage as required in SJI?

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:16:01 -0400
Subject: Re: Bridging for bar joist
From: tm314052(--nospam--at)gmail.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

My guess is that there is a misunderstanding.  You do not use braces to provide positive anchorage. They stabilize, not anchor.  It's now standard (page 33 of the '03 Vulcraft Catalog) to provide horiz bridging in the bay adjacent to a much stiffer element such as a wall.  What sort of concrete panel is it?  Could it be that the joist manuf thinks the bridging will be used to stabilize them?  Are the panels more of a cladding than a support?

Byron