re: Malaysian foot bridge

I am no bridge engineer so forgive my use of improper terminology, but I did not see any tension cables going from the top of the tower and down to the ground to anchor into a dead man? It looked like they were relying on overturning capacity of the foundations of the towers, that appeared woefully inadequate. I know traditionally the main support cables go over the tower and continue down at an angle to anchor to the ground to resist the tensile loads either via a massive block of concrete or anchorage into the ground.

Really an avoidable tragedy, they also could have placed strict limits on how many people could be on the bridge at one time. Native cultures have built vine bridges over canyons for thousands of years...

Andrew Kester, PE