From: erik_g(--nospam--at)cox.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Mon, Nov 2, 2009 10:01 am
Subject: Back to ACI Appendix 'D' Bolt Head Question

When designing a holdown anchorbolt I.A.W. ACI appendix D, the bearing area of
the headed bolt is used in the calculation. Our office is using a spreadsheet
created by Daniel T. Li, which can be purchased online. In his spreadsheet,
there is a list of 5 different types of headed bolts to choose from.

I looked in the Notes on ACi 318-05, chapter 34, D.1 table 34-2 which displays
the same table with head type and properties that is listed in the
aforementioned spreadsheet.

I also looked in the current Steel construction manual from AISC, specifications
section 16.2-10 and there is a table listing properties for heavy hex bolts and
nuts.

I have called many construction suppliers here in Southern California and many
have never heard of heavy hex head, or any of the other bolt head types that are
specified in table 34-2. I have also had contractors call me and tell me that
they can't find them.

Does anyone have any additional information  that might be helpfull, as to the
availability of these headed bolt types?

 I realize I can specify any head type that works but this spreadsheet is locked
to the listed types I have mentioned and it is what the owner wants to use.

Thanks for any info you can provide.