re: wind and drift

Well put as always Harold. And specifically on the subject of masonry and PEMB I believe ACI 530 has some guidelines or reccs on drift for CMU, I don't have it handy to check. But when you are the "EOR" on a PEMB project, designing the foundations, slab, and CMU cladding, pay careful attention during the preliminary design phase to let the owner/architect/GC all know that you have specific drift limits for the frames because of your CMU cladding, which may in turn effect overall cost of the PEMB significantly. The PEMB "sales guy" may sell a very cheap, basic PEMB package with metal siding that as Harold said can tolerate some high drift limits. Your CMU most likely cannot. If you have partial height CMU that will be supported by one of the PEMB wind girts, make sure you put connection details and a deflection limit for that member clearly on your drawings and insist the PEMB see these drawings prior to their design.

HTH and wasn't too of the subject,
Andrew Kester, PE
Florida

Harold wrote:
A single story pre engineered metal building with metal siding can accommod=
ate a lot of lateral drift.  Some pre engineered metal buildings are routin=
ely designed for h/20.  If it is clad in masonry=2C the limits will be sign=
ificantly less (in the range of h/200 to h/400)unless you detail the claddi=
ng to accommodate the lateral drift. =20