Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Contracting through Architect

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
With my simple one-man firm I've made things really easy. Only contract with owners & billing is COD. And around here there is almost always a final observation letter, so I hold that until final payment. Life's too short to spent it chasing payment.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

David L. Fisher wrote:

The dearth is because most archys are terrible about money.

They are afraid to ask the owners for it…and when they get it, they

Keep it.

I have a client that did exactly that…he got paid by the owner

(who was a friend of mine) and I */_knew_/* he got paid.

I confronted the architect about and called me “unprofessional”

David L. Fisher SE PE

Senior Principal

Fisher and Partners

372 West Ontario

Suite 301

Chicago 60654

312.622.0409 (m)


312.573.1726 (f)

-----Original Message-----
*From:* Rhkratzse(--nospam--at) [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)]
*Sent:* Thursday, November 05, 2009 1:59 PM
*To:* mblangy(--nospam--at); seaint(--nospam--at)
*Subject:* Re: Contracting through Architect

I would also be somewhat leery, or at least *careful*, when contracting with an owner through a "representative." Depending on how large a project is, and whether it justifies the overhead of an attorney-reviewed specific contract (most of mine don't), and who the rep is -- licensed, unlicensed, or just the client's brother who happens to be out of work at the moment -- such an arrangement *might* be acceptable.

BTW there appears to be a dearth of "pro" comments about contracting with an architect. ;)


In a message dated 11/5/09 11:40:53 AM, mblangy(--nospam--at) writes:

From PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS ACT (Business and Professions Code §§ 6700 – 6799)

"The written contract shall be executed by the professional engineer and the client,_ or his or her representative,_ prior to the professional engineer commencing work,.."

What would constitute a "representative?"

> As far as I know, at least in California, a professional engineer may not have a contract with an unlicensed. You must have a written agreement with the owner.

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
* * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********