re: base plates

Paul,
Architect friend of mine had a project where the contractor did not grout under the base plates of the columns on a multi-story building and the anchor bolts failed in buckling like mini-columns. I don't remember the repercussions or how far into the construction it was, it was not disasterous but I would think they would loose a couple of vertical inches and have to find a way to jack the column up and re-anchor it. Imagine the building is finished or occupied and you loose two inches at every floor and your integrity at the base of the column(s)....

Andrew Kester, PE